[MEncoder-users] Green boxes on non-computer DVD player

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Thu Nov 9 12:26:47 CET 2006

Hello,

I'm using mencoder to author an MPEG2 DVD (together with dvdauthor).
Playing the DVD disc on a Hitachi DVD/Video player, I get groups of
scattered green boxes in sporadic flashes, in particular when the scene
shifts quickly (when the frame changes completely, and also when small
regions change). This artifact tends to happen more in the bottom half
of the viewed frame. On a normal movie, this happens every 30 seconds or
so. Mplayer plays the same MPEG stream perfectly.

Other than this, a complete 90-minutes movies plays perfectly both with
mplayer and the Hitachi machine.

The green box patterns are exactly repeatable between two discs burned
from the same ISO image (same patterns on the same frames).

I've tried this on home-compiled Mencoder-1.0rc1-3.2.2 under x86-linux
as well as precompiled binary for Windows (MEncoder 1.0pre8-3.4.2),
yielding seemingly the same behaviour.

The command line used:
mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf
scale=720:400,expand=720:576,harddup -srate 48000 -af
lavcresample=48000,volume=-12 -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=9000:keyint=15:acodec=ac3:abitrate=192:aspect=4/3
-ofps 25 -o "$out.mpg" "in.avi"

It should be noted, that the real bitrate turned out to be around
3000kbit/sec (as verified by the output file's size).

I also tried vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000 as well as
vrc_buf_size=300:vrc_maxrate=3000:vbitrate=1500. The former yielded more
or less the same file size, the second a smaller file, but both suffered
from the same green box issue.

I also used dvdunauthor to reclaim the VOBs from the DVD itself (to take
the blame off dvdauthor). The VOB played perfectly with mplayer. I've
also used dvdauthor with MPEGs from a difference source (video sampler)
and that worked perfectly. So it looks like dvdauthor is not to blame.

I will gladly try to tweak some other elements, in order to help
catching the lion in the desert. Personally, I've run out of ideas of
what to play with.

Suggestions are mostly welcome. Even tools to check an MPEG stream's
behaviour. Anything.

Thanks in advance,
    Eli

P.S. It appears like this problem was reported before, but was not
solved, at least not in public:
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2006-July/003745.html

There are two apparently related bug reports,
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=887416&group_id=16082&atid=116082

and
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=978964&group_id=16082&atid=116082

--