[MEncoder-users] Green boxes on non-computer DVD player

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Thu Nov 9 12:46:28 CET 2006

Eli Billauer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using mencoder to author an MPEG2 DVD (together with dvdauthor).
> Playing the DVD disc on a Hitachi DVD/Video player, I get groups of
> scattered green boxes in sporadic flashes, in particular when the
> scene shifts quickly (when the frame changes completely, and also when
> small regions change). This artifact tends to happen more in the
> bottom half of the viewed frame. On a normal movie, this happens every
> 30 seconds or so. Mplayer plays the same MPEG stream perfectly.
>
> Other than this, a complete 90-minutes movies plays perfectly both
> with mplayer and the Hitachi machine.
>
> The green box patterns are exactly repeatable between two discs burned
> from the same ISO image (same patterns on the same frames).

/me too on a particular player I happened to test, although I found
neither the cause nor the solution.
I would describe the problem as "green horizontal sequences of
macroblocks", especially
in the right portion of the image.
It seems to me that either the dvd reader has a buggy decoder (not to be
excluded)
or there's some strange uncompliance in lavc's encoder.