[MEncoder-users] Green boxes on non-computer DVD player

Gennady Ovcharov henadzi.aucharou at vpi-minsk.com
Thu Nov 9 14:48:19 CET 2006

Hi all !

Nico Sabbi ?????:
> Eli Billauer wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using mencoder to author an MPEG2 DVD (together with dvdauthor).
>> Playing the DVD disc on a Hitachi DVD/Video player, I get groups of
>> scattered green boxes in sporadic flashes, in particular when the
>> scene shifts quickly (when the frame changes completely, and also
>> when small regions change). This artifact tends to happen more in the
>> bottom half of the viewed frame. On a normal movie, this happens
>> every 30 seconds or so. Mplayer plays the same MPEG stream perfectly.
>>
>> Other than this, a complete 90-minutes movies plays perfectly both
>> with mplayer and the Hitachi machine.
>>
>> The green box patterns are exactly repeatable between two discs
>> burned from the same ISO image (same patterns on the same frames).
>>

> /me too on a particular player I happened to test, although I found
> neither the cause nor the solution.
> I would describe the problem as "green horizontal sequences of
> macroblocks", especially
> in the right portion of the image.
> It seems to me that either the dvd reader has a buggy decoder (not to
> be excluded)
> or there's some strange uncompliance in lavc's encoder.

I have same problem on my standalone DVD player Panasonic S49 (media
processor MN2DS0009AP)
But "green boxes" I see only strongly on every B-frames (player have
option "frame-by-frame" and show info about every frame)
I-frames - perfectly

I try many variations parameters for -ovc lavc -lavcopts but result is
badly.
I'm not think what this problem linked with DVD player
May be this bug in LAVC encoder?

regards,
Gennady