[MPlayer-dvb] Better picture for mplayer-dvb

Sebastian Kemper sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Sun Dec 5 12:22:23 CET 2004

Nico Sabbi schrieb:
> Sebastian Kemper wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> yesterday I tried different postprocessing filters on my dvb. I think
>> I read all posts to this list concerning blockiness, the dvb card not
>> liking bitrates higher then 5000 etc. In the beginning I thought my
>> VDR was too slow for say lavc=2 (AMD 1700+), but after writing the
>> mpegpes to disk an then replaying it the dvb still refused to play the
>> movie fluently. So I think there's a bitrate barrier on the dvb card.
>

> Can you explain how your computer is configured and what you are trying
> to do exactly?
> Do you have a FF or a budget card? Maybe FF have such a bitrate barrier,
> but imo it's unlikely.

I got a FF rev.1.5. The mobo is an NForce2.

>> I think it should be possible to even get a good picture with
>> lavc=5000 if one uses postprocessing. But I didn't find the "cure"
>> yet. Two things: I'm not sure which postprocessing filter(s) to use
>> and where to place them in the -vop (respectfully -vf) list.
>>
>> Until now I tried different combinations with pp=hb:a/vb:a/dr and
>> changing the decoder to xvid using -xvidopts
>> deblock-chroma:deblock-luma[:dr2]. Also I tried to change the
>> sharpness of the bicubic scaler.
>> I placed the changes in mplayer.sh:
>>

> what does xvid have to do with all this? I'm more and more confused
By default XVID gets decoded by ffmpeg (have a look into codecs.conf). I
used the xvid codec to decompress to see if the picture gets better
because my vids are mostly xvid. But it didn't change the picture as far
as I could see,

>> -vop
>> pp=hb:a/vb:a/dr,$VOP:$NEW_FPS,expand=$NEW_X:$REAL_Y:-1:-1:1,scale=$NEW_X:${NEW_Y}:0:0:100
>>

>> -vop
>> $VOP:$NEW_FPS,pp=hb:a/vb:a/dr,expand=$NEW_X:$REAL_Y:-1:-1:1,scale=$NEW_X:${NEW_Y}:0:0:100
>>

>> -vop -xvidopts deblock-chroma:deblock-luma[:dr2]
>> $VOP:$NEW_FPS,expand=$NEW_X:$REAL_Y:-1:-1:1,scale=$NEW_X:${NEW_Y}:0:0:100
>>
>> I think my VDR was too slow for the xvid codecs internal
>> postprocessing :)
>>
>> The problem is I don't really know which position in the -vop list
>> (for pp=...) is the best. I read about postprocessing being placed
>> best before YUV conversion. But I'm not sure what that is :) Maybe you
>> can tell me where to place these options.
>

> This is a question for mplayer-users.
Allthough I tried different positions in the -vop list none seemed to
have any effect on the TV output. The only thing that seems to change
the quality is playing with lavc=... But as I mentioned earlier there
seems to be a boundary (skips occur).

>> Another thing is, my friend still got a Windows system, a P3 700MHz,
>> and when he plays DivX on his computer (on a normal monitor, no dvb
>> hardware) the picture looks awesome: No blocks and, allthough he's got
>> "slower" hardware, it never skips. On my laptop the picture isn't that
>> perfect with mplayer. I don't have skips because it's a Pentium-M with
>> 1.4GHz and I use -vo xv, but it's far more blocky. My friend uses VLC
>> on his Windows system btw.
>> I think having a postprocessing filter like that could even help with
>> mplayer-dvb (before lavc=5000?), but I didn't find an equivalent yet.
>> Are the same filters available for mplayer as they are for a Windows
>> VLC? Where would you place postprocessing filter in the -vop list?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Sebastian
>

> The major difference I can think of is that mplayer by default decodes
> mpeg12 with libmpeg2, vlc with lavc.
> Use -vc ffmpeg12, to change behavior
I'm not decoding MPEG2. I'm decoding DivX. :)

Laters

Sebastian