[MPlayer-dvb] Better picture for mplayer-dvb

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Sun Dec 5 12:03:46 CET 2004

Sebastian Kemper wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> yesterday I tried different postprocessing filters on my dvb. I think
> I read all posts to this list concerning blockiness, the dvb card not
> liking bitrates higher then 5000 etc. In the beginning I thought my
> VDR was too slow for say lavc=2 (AMD 1700+), but after writing the
> mpegpes to disk an then replaying it the dvb still refused to play the
> movie fluently. So I think there's a bitrate barrier on the dvb card.

Can you explain how your computer is configured and what you are trying
to do exactly?
Do you have a FF or a budget card? Maybe FF have such a bitrate barrier,
but imo it's unlikely.

> I think it should be possible to even get a good picture with
> lavc=5000 if one uses postprocessing. But I didn't find the "cure"
> yet. Two things: I'm not sure which postprocessing filter(s) to use
> and where to place them in the -vop (respectfully -vf) list.
>
> Until now I tried different combinations with pp=hb:a/vb:a/dr and
> changing the decoder to xvid using -xvidopts
> deblock-chroma:deblock-luma[:dr2]. Also I tried to change the
> sharpness of the bicubic scaler.
> I placed the changes in mplayer.sh:

what does xvid have to do with all this? I'm more and more confused

> -vop
> pp=hb:a/vb:a/dr,$VOP:$NEW_FPS,expand=$NEW_X:$REAL_Y:-1:-1:1,scale=$NEW_X:${NEW_Y}:0:0:100
>

> -vop
> $VOP:$NEW_FPS,pp=hb:a/vb:a/dr,expand=$NEW_X:$REAL_Y:-1:-1:1,scale=$NEW_X:${NEW_Y}:0:0:100
>

> -vop -xvidopts deblock-chroma:deblock-luma[:dr2]
> $VOP:$NEW_FPS,expand=$NEW_X:$REAL_Y:-1:-1:1,scale=$NEW_X:${NEW_Y}:0:0:100
>
> I think my VDR was too slow for the xvid codecs internal
> postprocessing :)
>
> The problem is I don't really know which position in the -vop list
> (for pp=...) is the best. I read about postprocessing being placed
> best before YUV conversion. But I'm not sure what that is :) Maybe you
> can tell me where to place these options.

This is a question for mplayer-users.

> Another thing is, my friend still got a Windows system, a P3 700MHz,
> and when he plays DivX on his computer (on a normal monitor, no dvb
> hardware) the picture looks awesome: No blocks and, allthough he's got
> "slower" hardware, it never skips. On my laptop the picture isn't that
> perfect with mplayer. I don't have skips because it's a Pentium-M with
> 1.4GHz and I use -vo xv, but it's far more blocky. My friend uses VLC
> on his Windows system btw.
> I think having a postprocessing filter like that could even help with
> mplayer-dvb (before lavc=5000?), but I didn't find an equivalent yet.
> Are the same filters available for mplayer as they are for a Windows
> VLC? Where would you place postprocessing filter in the -vop list?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sebastian

The major difference I can think of is that mplayer by default decodes
mpeg12 with libmpeg2, vlc with lavc.
Use -vc ffmpeg12, to change behavior