[MPlayer-dvb] Better picture for mplayer-dvb

Juri Haberland juri at koschikode.com
Sun Dec 5 15:50:38 CET 2004

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Sebastian Kemper wrote:

>> yesterday I tried different postprocessing filters on my dvb. I think
>> I read all posts to this list concerning blockiness, the dvb card not
>> liking bitrates higher then 5000 etc. In the beginning I thought my
>> VDR was too slow for say lavc=2 (AMD 1700+), but after writing the
>> mpegpes to disk an then replaying it the dvb still refused to play the
>> movie fluently. So I think there's a bitrate barrier on the dvb card.
>
> Can you explain how your computer is configured and what you are trying
> to do exactly?
> Do you have a FF or a budget card? Maybe FF have such a bitrate barrier,
> but imo it's unlikely.

I don't know whether it's a hardware limitation or a limitation in
either the dvb driver or mplayer itself, but if I generate mpeg1 files
from two of my problematic AVIs with
'mplayer -vo mpegpes:test.mpg -vop lavc,expand=(...),scale=(...) video.avi'
and I replay those mpeg files with 'mplayer -vo mpegpes test.mpg' I get
stuttering scenes at exactly the same place where it would stutter when
playing the avis directly.
If I play those files on my slower Laptop directly via
'mplayer test.mpg' those scenes are smooth as they should be. So the
mpegs itself are ok, but replaying them via the DVB card seems to be
probematic. What I observed is that at those sceens which stutter, the
bitrate goes above 2MByte/s  - on my laptop I can see up to 3.4 MByte/s
whereas on the DVB-machine the bitrate seems to hit a barrier at around
2MByte/s (and yes, this machine is fast enough: P4 2.4GHz, hdparm -t:
37MB/s).

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Juri