[Mplayer-dvb] audio and video out of sync :-(

Clemens Ender ender at sbox.tugraz.at
Sat Oct 27 08:56:53 CEST 2001

> > First of all I need to say that I was damn amazed by your work when I
first
> > got MPlayer runnin with my Hauppauge WinDVB-s. Incredible how good
> > exspecially those VCDs look on the TV-screen. But anyway, I'm still
> > experiencing some problems with audio.
> >
> > So here is what I did
> > I got the lastest CVS-tree from MPlayer,ffmpeg and DVB-s driver. I
compiled
> > and installed ffmpeg and DVB-s driver. Then I compiled MPlayer following
the
> > steps described in DOCS/DVB. It compiled fine. So I started it, but soon
> > noticed the video and audio were out of sync. Audio is always say
between 1
> > and 1.5 secs ahead, although the "console-output" of mplayer says that
it's
> > perfectly synced:
> >
> > A:   1.5 V:   1.5 A-V:  0.013 ct: -0.029   28/ 29   0%  0%  2.5% 1 0 0%
> >
> > This only occurs when I'm runnin mplayer with "-vo mpegpes -vc mpegpes"
>
> Hmm. I thought it's already fixed (i did some changes for dvb in av sync),
> but if you're using cvs, then it's still buggy. Btw, did you tried mpegs
> with different bitrate? As I can't get the actual video time delay of DVB
> card, i have to estimate it from bitrate. Maybe it's buggy in mpeg header.

Well, I tried both mplayer source from CVS and the 0.50 source. I Always
copied
in libavcodec from ffmpeg CVS though, and the dvb-s driver is also from CVS.
And yes, I tried different VCDs, but maybe not with different bitrate.
And before I forget: When playing round with -fps settings, I found sync
gettin better.
I just choose a value close to the real one. But that's no solution anyway.

Besides I noticed something strange too: Some VCD (The Matrix ;-) ) played
only in
black & white.

Anyway I guess it's best to wait until you got the routines for audio
playback via the
dvb-card itself ready and running.

> > When I'm havin mplayer output the movie via SDL or XV audio and video
are
> > perfectly sync.
> >
> > I tried to play around with -delay option but without any success.
> Yes, It doesn't work because of the blocking "side-effect" of DVB.
>
> > Any idea what's goin on here ?
> Give me some time, i'll check.
>
> Btw, I've some unfinished code for -ao mpegpes, to playback audio via the
> dvb card. It will be finished soon, but unfortunately I'm very busy
nowdays
> with my job :(
> It should solve the perfect a-v sync problem, at leats it moves the a-v
sync
> function into the driver/card.

As I said above. I'm lookin forward to that. Unfortunately I'm too new to
the whole
video-codec + DVB kinda thing, that I'm unable to support the project by
some
active development.

Thnx and Cheers,
  Clemens