[Mplayer-dvb] audio and video out of sync :-(

mocm at convergence.de mocm at convergence.de
Fri Oct 26 18:59:02 CEST 2001

Arpi writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > > First of all I need to say that I was damn amazed by your work when I first
 > > got MPlayer runnin with my Hauppauge WinDVB-s. Incredible how good
 > > exspecially those VCDs look on the TV-screen. But anyway, I'm still
 > > experiencing some problems with audio.
 > >
 > > So here is what I did
 > > I got the lastest CVS-tree from MPlayer,ffmpeg and DVB-s driver. I compiled
 > > and installed ffmpeg and DVB-s driver. Then I compiled MPlayer following the
 > > steps described in DOCS/DVB. It compiled fine. So I started it, but soon I
 > > noticed the video and audio were out of sync. Audio is always say between 1
 > > and 1.5 secs ahead, although the "console-output" of mplayer says that it's
 > > perfectly synced:
 > >
 > > A:   1.5 V:   1.5 A-V:  0.013 ct: -0.029   28/ 29   0%  0%  2.5% 1 0 0%
 > >
 > > This only occurs when I'm runnin mplayer with "-vo mpegpes -vc mpegpes"
 >
 > Hmm. I thought it's already fixed (i did some changes for dvb in av sync),
 > but if you're using cvs, then it's still buggy. Btw, did you tried mpegs
 > with different bitrate? As I can't get the actual video time delay of DVB
 > card, i have to estimate it from bitrate. Maybe it's buggy in mpeg header.

Why don't you send the sound to the DVB card, either as MPEG or as
LPCM. You can set the PTS and the card should sync it.

 > > When I'm havin mplayer output the movie via SDL or XV audio and video are
 > > perfectly sync.
 > >
 > > I tried to play around with -delay option but without any success.
 > Yes, It doesn't work because of the blocking "side-effect" of DVB.
 >
 > > Any idea what's goin on here ?
 > Give me some time, i'll check.
 >
 > Btw, I've some unfinished code for -ao mpegpes, to playback audio via the
 > dvb card. It will be finished soon, but unfortunately I'm very busy nowdays
 > with my job :(
 > It should solve the perfect a-v sync problem, at leats it moves the a-v sync
 > function into the driver/card.

Oops, I was typing too fast. If you need any help, tell me.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm at netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de
mocm at convergence.de                    http://www.convergence.de