[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFII software patent demo, politics, KiSS

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Apr 19 15:56:33 CEST 2004

Gabucino writes:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > As Alan Cox said, it could also be construed as due diligence on our
> > part.  If problems arise in the future we can always say that we did
> > our best to warn people.
> I'd be very angered if after all the work we've done on MPlayer, anyone
> accused us with "not warning people".

Please elaborate, I don't understand your point.  Maybe there is a
misunderstanding or I did not say it clearly enough: They did not say
that we need to do this

> > And I'm not even saying it has to or will be implemented.  It is an
> > idea that has been proposed to us.  I was sceptical at first but now I
> > think it may be worthwhile and Alex tended to agree.
> It could be done, but
>  - someone will have to maintain it

In what regard?  New patents coming up?  I think this would only
affect new formats.  The FSF promised us help with research if we
wanted to do something like this.  I'd guess they would be willing to
help us with updates when new formats come into common usage.

>  - I'd consider disabling it by default when (if) the patent mess is
>  over for good

Don't get your hopes up.  Even if we manage to prevent them in the EU,
they're not going away in the states anytime soon.

Diego