[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFII software patent demo, politics, KiSS

Gabucino gabucino at mplayerhq.hu
Mon Apr 19 21:23:04 CEST 2004

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > I'd be very angered if after all the work we've done on MPlayer, anyone
> > accused us with "not warning people".
> Please elaborate, I don't understand your point.
I think there is no misunderstanding, my sentence is clear and meaningful.
I'll gladly elaborate if you ask an exact question.

> >  - someone will have to maintain it
> In what regard?  New patents coming up?
Yes.

> Don't get your hopes up.  Even if we manage to prevent them in the EU,
> they're not going away in the states anytime soon.
BTW using free codecs/formats won't help anyone, as it doesn't matter if
you store the newest Kill Bill 2 DivX release in ASF or NUT, you'll be taken
away and noone will care of the actual fileformat - only the content.
(hint for biased people: that doesn't mean I'm against free stuff)

--
Gabucino
MPlayer Core Team