[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFII software patent demo, politics, KiSS

Gabucino gabucino at mplayerhq.hu
Mon Apr 19 15:14:06 CEST 2004

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> The sense is to clue people in about the patent mess they are living
> in at this very moment and how it affects them.  Heightened awareness
> about patent problems in the general populace is something we could
> really use.
That's fine.

> As Alan Cox said, it could also be construed as due diligence on our
> part.  If problems arise in the future we can always say that we did
> our best to warn people.
I'd be very angered if after all the work we've done on MPlayer, anyone
accused us with "not warning people".

> And I'm not even saying it has to or will be implemented.  It is an
> idea that has been proposed to us.  I was sceptical at first but now I
> think it may be worthwhile and Alex tended to agree.
It could be done, but
 - someone will have to maintain it
 - there must be an option to switch it off
 - I'd consider disabling it by default when (if) the patent mess is over for
   good

--
Gabucino
MPlayer Core Team