[MPlayer-cygwin] Mplayer win32 GUI questions

R.Ivarson Rivarson at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 19:59:45 CET 2005

Hello.

I tried the frontend named "MpUi" which uses the Gui exclusive
mplayer.exe as slave. The frontend looks promising but unfortunately
lacks some _very_ important features. For example you can't run it with
a file parameter, etc, so it's no help when assigning it to double
clickable files.

So I headed for the GUI inclusive mplayer.exe compiled by Gianluigi and
it's really nice. It features many things which a) lacks but also still
(?) lacks a few others.
Btw. is Gianluigi's mplayer.exe the Win32 equivalent of the original
Unix Gui inclusive Mplayer?
Anyway, great work, Gianluigi.

Some questions to the experts, please, with Gianluigi's Gui inclusive
mplayer.exe :

1) Is there some similar function to the "panscan" function (keys "W"
and "E") which also works with "-vo directx" and does allow a higher zoom?
Because Panscan doesn't work with directx but for example with "-vo
gl[2]", like the Mplayer manpages says. However I can't use "-vo gl2"
with Gianluigi's Win32 gui'ed mplayer.exe.
I tried -x, -y, -crop, etc but they're very difficult to use manually. I
don't mind the exact pixel widths and heights but "just" to zoom in and out.

2) How to give certain command line parameters to the gui'ed mplayer.exe
in a direct way? Editing the config file works but isn't very direct.
Even by editing the config file at the moment I can't tell the Mplayer
which subtitle to use when I play an original DVD. I added the
"alang=..." switch and it works, but no luck with "sid=2" for example.
With MpUi it works fine.

3) Screensaver. There's a Mplayer switch to disable it for X11. Is there
something similar in the Win32 version?
This is a real showstopper at the moment because my PC must use a
screensaver and it kicks Mplayer every time. Of course I could disable
it manually when I start Mplayer and enable it again when I quit it, but...

4) Is there a complete list of key names and usable actions so I can change
the "MPlayer input control file" input.conf ?

Thanks!

-ric