[MPlayer-cygwin] discard video for first pass NODAEMON

Stefan Gürtler mail at stefan-guertler.de
Thu Nov 4 13:32:09 CET 2004

I was given a interesting question.
How to discard the frames of the first pass of a multipass encode, e.g. to
save space disk?
This is e.g. done by XviD or ffdshow for the first pass via an option. On
linux I would try to write to /dev/null, but i am afraid that on Win32 this
will result in performance issues, when pumping the data in a linux/unix
like environmet through e.g. cygwin1. When running in Konsole (cmd.exe or
command.com) there will be no /dev/null at all.
How to efficiently send the frames to the digital nirvana on win32? I had a
look at mencoder -of help and there was no null or discard. Googling did not
bring up anything other than using -O /dev/null.
What about adding something like this -of null? Then it can be used
generally for every codec where just an logfile needs to be used for next
pass, independently of the OS, where mencoder was ported to.

 Hellfred