[MPlayer-cygwin] discard video for first pass NODAEMON

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Thu Nov 4 16:20:07 CET 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 01:32:09PM +0100, Stefan Gürtler wrote:
> I was given a interesting question.
> How to discard the frames of the first pass of a multipass encode, e.g. to
> save space disk?
> This is e.g. done by XviD or ffdshow for the first pass via an option. On
> linux I would try to write to /dev/null, but i am afraid that on Win32 this
> will result in performance issues, when pumping the data in a linux/unix
> like environmet through e.g. cygwin1. When running in Konsole (cmd.exe or
> command.com) there will be no /dev/null at all.

This is not true.  The cygwin dll will take care of that.  If your
cygwin app tries to open /dev/null without running inside of bash, it
still works as it would under linux.  Certain other special purpose /dev
entries will work as well.

> How to efficiently send the frames to the digital nirvana on win32? I had a
> look at mencoder -of help and there was no null or discard. Googling did not
> bring up anything other than using -O /dev/null.
> What about adding something like this -of null? Then it can be used
> generally for every codec where just an logfile needs to be used for next
> pass, independently of the OS, where mencoder was ported to.

--Joey

--
"I tell you:  one must still have chaos in oneself to give
birth to a dancing star!" --Nietzsche