[MPlayer-cygwin] undef ref to WinMain at 16 in cygwin

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Thu Sep 12 10:21:30 CEST 2002

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 01:01:53AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > For starters, the new thread should maybe start with:
> > > 1) Best environment (djgpp, etc.) to compile it in.
> > mingw
> Agreed.  Also, you should note that cygwin gcc can be given
> a flag to emulate mingw and ignore the emulation layer entirely.
>
> > > 2) Suggestions on how to work with the inline asm in that enviro.
> > see 1)
> > if you choose non-gcc compiler - you will get lots of trouble
> > afaik djgpp is for dos, and cygwin is mroe like a unix/posix emulation
layer
> > around mingw than a different compiler.
>
> Yes, I've done much work with DJGPP in the past.
> This is not what we want.
Agree

> > > 3) Any other opinions we may have on how to do this 'port.'
> > imho do a clean 'null' port first, as we did for os/2 some time ago.
> > it was done at a saturday afternoon, i coded with the help of 2 os/2
gurus.
> > i'm pretty sure that 98% of the code is portable as-is, only some
platform
> > specific parts should be rewritten, especially the files in the linux/
> > (should be called: osdep) dir.
> > then you should be able to compile it and play files with -ao null -vo
null :)

> This is an excellent idea.  I'll start work on this soon.
> What I will probably do is identify the parts of code that do not
> compile natively on mingw and then make a new thread detailing what and
> where for all non-trivial porting issues.  Then I suggest all those
> interested in porting to windows divide up who will work on which parts
> of the code.  Is this a good idea?
Yes

> > the next step is writing ao and vo drivers, and other stuff like native
> > win32 dll interface (using win's native dll loader instead of teh
avifile
> > hacks).
>
> Does anyone remember who was working on the directx vo?
I am, but I am a bit bussy these days. I think Felix Buenemann was working
on that, too.
I'm afraid I can't send my current stuff, because I don't like cola that
much ;(
Maybe we could use beer for the windows port ;)

> > imho you should forget the gui, it's too lowlevel Xlib and some gtk
> > specific, you'd better click together something win-friendly.
>
> Good call.
writing some basic gui, shouldn't be that hard
but we should first concentrate on the commandine version

> > > 4) How to run ./configure && make && make install.
> >
> > forget. replace them by config.bat :) and write new makefiles for that
arch.
> > see any projects, they have different scripts and makefiles for major
archs
> > like os2 or win.
>
> It seems difficult to me to convert a bash shell script into a dos batch
> file, but it may be needed.  I'm not sure.  As for makefiles, it's been
> a while since I used plain mingw, but I think it provides GNU make.

we can perhaps use msys, haven't checked, yet

Sascha Sommer