[MPlayer-cygwin] undef ref to WinMain at 16 in cygwin

Joey Parrish joey at yunamusic.com
Thu Sep 12 04:40:21 CEST 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 01:01:53AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > For starters, the new thread should maybe start with:
> > 1) Best environment (djgpp, etc.) to compile it in.
> mingw
Agreed.  Also, you should note that cygwin gcc can be given
a flag to emulate mingw and ignore the emulation layer entirely.

> > 2) Suggestions on how to work with the inline asm in that enviro.
> see 1)
> if you choose non-gcc compiler - you will get lots of trouble
> afaik djgpp is for dos, and cygwin is mroe like a unix/posix emulation layer
> around mingw than a different compiler.

Yes, I've done much work with DJGPP in the past.
This is not what we want.

> > 3) Any other opinions we may have on how to do this 'port.'
> imho do a clean 'null' port first, as we did for os/2 some time ago.
> it was done at a saturday afternoon, i coded with the help of 2 os/2 gurus.
> i'm pretty sure that 98% of the code is portable as-is, only some platform
> specific parts should be rewritten, especially the files in the linux/
> (should be called: osdep) dir.
> then you should be able to compile it and play files with -ao null -vo null :)

This is an excellent idea.  I'll start work on this soon.
What I will probably do is identify the parts of code that do not
compile natively on mingw and then make a new thread detailing what and
where for all non-trivial porting issues.  Then I suggest all those
interested in porting to windows divide up who will work on which parts
of the code.  Is this a good idea?

> the next step is writing ao and vo drivers, and other stuff like native
> win32 dll interface (using win's native dll loader instead of teh avifile
> hacks).

Does anyone remember who was working on the directx vo?

> imho you should forget the gui, it's too lowlevel Xlib and some gtk
> specific, you'd better click together something win-friendly.

Good call.

> > 4) How to run ./configure && make && make install.
>
> forget. replace them by config.bat :) and write new makefiles for that arch.
> see any projects, they have different scripts and makefiles for major archs
> like os2 or win.

It seems difficult to me to convert a bash shell script into a dos batch
file, but it may be needed.  I'm not sure.  As for makefiles, it's been
a while since I used plain mingw, but I think it provides GNU make.

Any further comments or direction from more experienced mplayer people?
I may start really earning my liters of soda soon.  :)

> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--Joey

--

"Keep on truckin'." --Darth Vader