[MPlayer-cygwin] compiling mplayer probs ...

Gert.Vandelaer at medisearch-int.com Gert.Vandelaer at medisearch-int.com
Wed Sep 4 13:18:10 CEST 2002

Hya,

I've gotten Mplayer to compile ... finally,
had to do some fancy tricks with compiling aalib, ggi and sdl:
libgii / libggi wouldn't compile "demos" / "test" part, but that's ok, got
it installed ...
sdl and aalib compiled fine (took me while to find the correct gcc
version) Wtf is gcc2 package btw ? ... It contains no cc1 among other
things ...
Why is there no "ldconfig" wiht the cygwin distro ... or maybe there is ?
Or maybe cygwin uses a different mechanism that I haven't figured out yet
to keep track of where to look for libraries ?
anyway ...
I configured mplayer --disable-win32 ... autodetected aa, ggi and sdl fine
compiled fine ... installed fine, but I can only run mplayer from the
"/usr/local/lib" directory , because otherwise I get a"... missing SDL.DLL
..." error, that's what got me thinking a bit harder about the whole
library search path thing in cygwin ... It had allready occured to me that
there was no "ld.so.conf" to adapt nor a "ldconfig" ... but I figured
cygwin used a different system, but now I need to know this system, because
it's bugging me seriously...

I tried running mplayer from inside the "/usr/local/lib" directory, it gave
me the help screen .. YES !! ... But now when I try to play a movie with
-vo sdl , mplayer bugs out with fatal error 11, and suggests a compiler bug
of some sort ... ok, no worries, it can happen :)  It did work with -vo aa
though !!
All this was compiled with gcc-2.95-3, so I tried with the gcc-3.2 ...ran
the setup tool, uninstalled 2.95-3 ... and installed 3.2.1 ... did a
distclean on mplayer tree, reran configure ... but I noticed it didn't
detect aa, ggi or SDL anymore ... damn, again a "ldconfig" issue .. (I
really need to find out how this works damned !)  I also tried "export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib" ... but it didn't help ... I read in the
docs that most cygwin apps don't use this much anyway ;-)

So I redid "make install" in the allready built aalib, gii / ggi and SDL
... because I noticed it does re-linking on cygwin system, so I assumed it
would somehow also fix the search-path for libraries ... but to no avail
... I had to recompile all libraries with gcc3-2 and read up on some cygwin
docs (I've only been using this for 2 days now) ... Strangely enough,
mplayer configure didn't autodetect aalib (I tested it first before i
restarted build of any other library ...), I had to specify
"/usr/local/lib" with --with-extralibdir, so now it did "autodetect" the
aalib on my system ... also ggi and SDL were found again now.

altered the "config.mak" according to docs ...
compiled mplayer again ...  some warnings about __fastcall being redefined
... that's ok, some other warnings too... more worrying ones like "missing
operand; zero assumed" *grin* ... anyway, compile process bums out on me at
"mpdvdkit" (something in the ".h file" ... so I disabled this feature and
recompiled ...)

I can play only when in X, -vo sdl -vo ggi ... not yet working, although
the error mplayer spews out when using -vo ggi is rather hopefull ...
libGGI : couldn't open /usr/local/etc/ggi/libggi.conf ... maybe it needs to
have some special mode ... gonna look in the code for that.
"-vo x11" : I can play movies, but without sound and it's very very very
slow ... but I think this has something to do with the warnings during
compile stating that I've misconfigured my system blah blah ....
"-vo aa" : also works, but same as x11 ... very very very slow ...

Is there some way to optimize that anyone knows of ? :)

any comments much appreciated.
Sorry for the long post ...
but I prefer being thorough rather than just say "help, it doesn't work" ;
-)  And I  typed all this while compiling was going on ... time to spare :)

Cya,
Gert

                    Joey Parrish
                    <joey at yunamusic.com>           To:     mplayer-cygwin at mplayerhq.hu
                    Sent by:                       cc:
                    mplayer-cygwin-admin at mp        Subject:     Re: [MPlayer-cygwin] compiling mplayer probs ...
                    layerhq.hu

                    30/08/2002 05:50 PM
                    Please respond to
                    mplayer-cygwin

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 12:13:17PM +0200, Gert.Vandelaer at medisearch-int.com
wrote:
> Hy all,

> I'm trying to get mplayer to run cygwin,
> compiled sdl, ggi, aa, libdivxdecore and installed all fine ..

Once you get MPlayer running, if -vo ggi works for you,
please write back and describe how you configured ggi and
how you configured MPlayer.  It's one of the things I can't
seem to make work.  But, maybe I'm dumb at strange times.  :)

> next mplayer,
> configure didn't detect libdivx for starters, maybe I need to tweak the
> config.mak for this build ?

libdivx?

> Anyway, I start compiling ...
> I get a whole bunch of warnings, config.h:win32 redefined blah blah ...
but
> compile continues ...

This is normal for cygwin MPlayer.

> and after a while I get an internal gcc compile error, signal 11 (hmm, no
> bad memory here)
> win32.c:1558: warning: #warning FIXME
> win32.c:2573: warning: #warning FIXME!
> cpp0: output pipe has been closed
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> make[1]: *** [win32.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gvandelaer/MPlayer-0.90pre5/loader'
> make: *** [loader/libloader.a] Error 2

Eek, yes, cygwin's gcc has some issues.  It does crash on occasion.
Try this:
./configure --enable-debug && make

Let me know how this affects it, it may lead me to a
decent answer about why gcc dies like this on win32.

> I got the latest cygwin release ...

Also, see if there are any upgraded gcc packages.
(I think I have a copy of gcc-2.95-8 ?  I'll have
to dig out my cygwin box next week and find out.
Sorry I can't test any of this out sooner.)
You might also try gcc3 packages instead.

> I've read the mplayer docs for cygwin ... not much on cygwin to be found.

Expecting DOCS for cygwin... :)
My hope is that when cygwin MPlayer becomes as stable
as Linux MPlayer, there won't need to be cygwin-specific
DOCS at all.  Wouldn't that be nice?

> Cya,
> Gert

Keep me posted.