[MPlayer-advusers] liba52 downmixing

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 09:28:55 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 9/3/05, Jan Knutar <jknutar at nic.fi> wrote:
> On Saturday 03 September 2005 07:28, Corey Hickey wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out what happens to the lfe channel of AC3 5.1
> > audio when liba52 is requested to downmix. Is the lfe discarded? Is it
> > mixed with the remaining channels? Is it reduced and then mixed?
>
> Supposedly the lfe is so low frequency that it is dangerous to
> pump it to regular speakers, they could be destroyed.

[..]

Decent speakers have an electronic filter which is supposed to filter
out the frequencies that are not meant to be outputted by the
speakers.
Now, maybe "el cheapo" speakers don't do that, which may save a couple
of bucks from the makers, at the expense of those kind of problems.

Guillaume
--
Reading doesn't hurt, really!
  -- Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski