[MPlayer-advusers] liba52 downmixing

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 7 06:38:20 CEST 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 01:23:28PM +0300, Jan Knutar wrote:
> On Saturday 03 September 2005 10:20, Corey Hickey wrote:
>
> > I finally found a short scene in Terminator 3 with some quiet,
> > low-frequency music. I'm pretty sure now that the lfe channel is indeed
> > discarded. If nobody tells me otherwise by some time tomorrow I'm going
> > to assume that to be true and write it into my docs patch.
>
> I think that is the "proper" thing to do according to dolby.

I'm not sure about what liba52 does or what is "proper", but the whole
idea of ".1" is stupid. The low frequency content should just be
stored with everything else, but totally nonpositional (i.e. only in
one channel after decorrelation) in any sane codec, and the receiver
should automatically filter low frequencies and send them to a
subwoofer instead of the little speakers if necessary...

Rich