[MPlayer-advusers] [BUG] mencoder floating point exception with -of lavf

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Wed Nov 9 22:36:58 CET 2005

Corey Hickey wrote:

>>>What specifically would preinit_video() do? Would it be better than the
>>>approach I'm taking? I've just been trying to figure it out as I go, and I
>>>don't have any experience at all with what I'm trying to do.
>>>

>>as I wrote I dislike muxer buffering, even if for one muxer alone, let
>>alone for all muxers....
>>Besides, only muxer_lavf needs it.
>>I'm all for dropping this approach and implement preinit_vide(), that
>>should probe the
>>features of the video stream after having applied all the filters (the
>>same code exists for
>>audio).
>>

>I'm not necessarily a proponent of buffering in the muxer -- I'm just
>following Rich's advice (a message in this thread dated 2005-11-06
>19:53). Both of you know far more about this than I, so I can't do much
>more than quote his message and see if the two of you can come to
>consensus. I don't mean to play you off each other; I just want to gauge
>what the right approach would be.

well, since my previous mail never arrived I'll repeat the message below:

this patch implements buffering, but I don't really like it (yet another
workaround
rather than a real solution).
Please, test and report if it works.

I don't understand why on earth mencoder should initialize the muxer before
having the single elementary streams configured :(
(even creating the container without knowing what will go into it is
conceptually
wrong, IMHO).
I hope someone will implement preinit_video(), but in the meantime I can
temporarily commit this patch.

   Nico