[MPlayer-advusers] [BUG] mencoder floating point exception with -of lavf

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Nov 9 20:49:46 CET 2005

Nico Sabbi wrote:
>>>I hope someone will implement preinit_video(), but in the meantime I can
>>>temporarily commit this patch.
>>
>>What specifically would preinit_video() do? Would it be better than the
>>approach I'm taking? I've just been trying to figure it out as I go, and I
>>don't have any experience at all with what I'm trying to do.
>>
> as I wrote I dislike muxer buffering, even if for one muxer alone, let
> alone for all muxers....
> Besides, only muxer_lavf needs it.
> I'm all for dropping this approach and implement preinit_vide(), that
> should probe the
> features of the video stream after having applied all the filters (the
> same code exists for
> audio).

I'm not necessarily a proponent of buffering in the muxer -- I'm just
following Rich's advice (a message in this thread dated 2005-11-06
19:53). Both of you know far more about this than I, so I can't do much
more than quote his message and see if the two of you can come to
consensus. I don't mean to play you off each other; I just want to gauge
what the right approach would be.

---------------------------quote------------------------------------
yes it's a known problem. there are two possible fixes:

1. preinit to get video characteristics then restart to do the actual
   encoding. this is bad for piped input.

2. hack the muxer layer to buffer all packets in a fake muxer until
   all stream properties are known, then initialize the actual muxer,
   write the headers, and pass all the buffered packets thru to the
   actual muxer.

i like option 2. this should actually be used for all muxers, even the
current avi muxer, since at present it will generate corrupt output if
the output file is not seekable.

rich
------------------------end quote------------------------------------

>>Nico, thanks for fowarding your mail to me. What's wrong with
>>mplayer-advusers? I can't see a problem from here, but I'll CC you anyway.
>>
>>-Corey
>
> unusually huge delays and one rejected message.
> As you see this is a reply to me, the ML still hasn't received my message

Hmm. They're still getting to me just fine, with a delay of less than 30
seconds (according to the headers). I'll keep CCing you in this thread,
though, until you ask me to stop.

Thanks again,
Corey