[MPlayer-advusers] [BUG] mencoder floating point exception with -of lavf

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Nov 10 00:21:42 CET 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 10:36:58PM +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> I don't understand why on earth mencoder should initialize the muxer before
> having the single elementary streams configured :(

Because there's no way to know when all streams will be configured!
Consider a file with 30 seconds of audio before the video begins.
There must be somewhere to send the encoded audio packets until the
video decoding begins..

> (even creating the container without knowing what will go into it is
> conceptually
> wrong, IMHO).

Yes. That's why mencoder must just buffer the packets itself until it
knows what goes into the container rather than creating the container
right away!

> I hope someone will implement preinit_video(), but in the meantime I can
> temporarily commit this patch.

This will be done... in mplayer g3. In the meantime keep dreaming.
There is absolutely no way to preinit video with current design.

Rich