[Mplayer-advusers] Multichannel Vorbis Playback Possible?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Apr 6 20:38:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> OK, since this list actually seems to accept my postings (any idea why
> mplayer-users wouldn't?) I'll post a request here that I have been
nope
i've checked logs but no track of your mails - probably they even didn't
reach the server.

> trying (unsuccessfully) to post on mplayer-users:
>
> I have been wondering... does or will mplayer support playing AVI files that
> contain a _multichannel_ Ogg Vorbis audio stream?

more than 2 (stereo) channel in a single stream, or multiple audio streams
(for example english and hungarian audio) in a .avi/.ogg file ?

> All I could glean from documentation and mailing lists is that it supports
> Vorbis as an audio codec and AC3 multichannel decoding (and output to
> multichannel soundcards).
>
> This led me to assume that at least it should be rather simple to implement
> this feature. But maybe it is even supported already?

dunno
i've never seen too lot files with vorbis audio, and all of them were with
single stream with stereo 2ch audio.
anyway in theory it may work - the vorbis decoder in mplayer passes the
channel number, doesn't matter how many channels it has

upload samples if you have files unplayable, i'll check

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team