[Mplayer-advusers] Multichannel Vorbis Playback Possible?

Joerg Sauer js-mail at gmx.net
Sat Apr 6 20:03:55 CEST 2002

OK, since this list actually seems to accept my postings (any idea why
mplayer-users wouldn't?) I'll post a request here that I have been
trying (unsuccessfully) to post on mplayer-users:

I have been wondering... does or will mplayer support playing AVI files that
contain a _multichannel_ Ogg Vorbis audio stream?

All I could glean from documentation and mailing lists is that it supports
Vorbis as an audio codec and AC3 multichannel decoding (and output to
multichannel soundcards).

This led me to assume that at least it should be rather simple to implement
this feature. But maybe it is even supported already?

I'd really like to know because I've been playing with the idea of
implementing support for AC3 to multichannel Vorbis transcoding in the
transcode package
(http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode).
It would be way cool to have this since you could make AVI files with
multichannel sound that are much smaller than if they contained full AC3.

Also, do you know of any other video players (Linux or Windows) that can
play a multichannel Vorbis audio track?

Thanks,
Joerg