[Mplayer-advusers] Multichannel Vorbis Playback Possible?

Joerg Sauer js-mail at gmx.net
Sat Apr 6 20:41:58 CEST 2002

On Saturday 06 April 2002 20:38, Arpi wrote:

> more than 2 (stereo) channel in a single stream, or multiple audio streams
> (for example english and hungarian audio) in a .avi/.ogg file ?

More than two channels in one audio stream. Ie, real multichannel surround
audio just like the AC3 on the DVD but greatly reduced in size and therefore
more suitable for being stored in CD-R.

> i've never seen too lot files with vorbis audio, and all of them were with
> single stream with stereo 2ch audio.
> anyway in theory it may work - the vorbis decoder in mplayer passes the
> channel number, doesn't matter how many channels it has

It _does_ seem to be a relatively hot topic in the DivX scene. What I mean
is, people have just begun experimenting with this. It is far from widespread
at the moment but to me it seems like it's one of the next logical steps in
the quest for condensing a DVD down to the size of one or two CD-Rs while
preserving as much of its features and quality.

Multichannel audio cards are getting cheap (and therefore widespread) and
more and more movies with AC3 sound in the AVI are being released. They are
nice because they have true multichannel sound but they are just too big!

Most complex AC3 is encoded at 448 kbit/s. With Vorbis you could probably go
as low as 256 kbit/s for a 5.1 track (if you use some tricks like for example
a 'phantom center'). This is a significant reduction in total bitrate I think
and probably just enough to make multichannel 1-CD rips possible in many
cases.

> upload samples if you have files unplayable, i'll check

I will try to get hold of some multichannel material. There are definitely
some audio only files out there and I guess that with the new support for
audio files in mplayer that this should be enough for testing, shouldn't it?

Joerg