[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission

Hans-Carl Oberdalhoff hcoberdalhoff at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 2 09:10:41 CET 2005

2005/12/2, Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org>:
> I've run across a bit of a hitch -- when I went to compare screenshots
> from the file I just encoded to the ones posted on doom9.org, I found
> out that the ones I had were considerably darker.
>
> I can only conjecture as to why they are different and which one is
> correct; the only thing I am pretty sure about is that mplayer/mencoder
> decodes the DVD that way -- it doesn't get altered during the encoding
> process. Compare this image of the DVD taken by -vo jpeg:

Hi,

I personally had some "funky" results, the last time, I tried using
avisynth (which is used in the 2003 test, I believe). Maybe the
decoding or some processing done by avisynth is producing this
difference?
And he use Media-Player-Classic (a DirectShow player) for taking the
shots. This means, there might be some post-processing involved, that
also tweaks brightness.
But I might also be completely wrong...

Simply give them the best you can! :)

best wishes,