[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Dec 2 06:05:45 CET 2005

I've run across a bit of a hitch -- when I went to compare screenshots
from the file I just encoded to the ones posted on doom9.org, I found
out that the ones I had were considerably darker.

I can only conjecture as to why they are different and which one is
correct; the only thing I am pretty sure about is that mplayer/mencoder
decodes the DVD that way -- it doesn't get altered during the encoding
process. Compare this image of the DVD taken by -vo jpeg:

http://fatooh.org/files/doom9tmp/dark.jpg

To the corresponding frame (or at least very close) on doom9:

http://www.doom9.org/images/codecs2/matrix-orig-142142.jpg

I've posted a 1MB clip from the DVD here:
http://fatooh.org/files/doom9tmp/matrix-clip.vob

Can anyone shed some light on this? :)

-Corey