[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission (also questions for Doom9 )

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Sat Dec 3 15:03:02 CET 2005

Am Freitag, 2. Dezember 2005 22:24 schrieb Corey Hickey:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >>1. I don't know much about postprocessing. On the encoding I'm doing
> >>right now, pp=ac looks a little less blocky than pp=fa. Does anyone
> >> have a good recommendation?
> >
> > i would recommand against pp=fa its just based on filters invented by
> > me which are supposed to be fast and not perfect, if you want more
> > speed try without the dering filter (pp=ha:128:7,va) but whatever you
> > choose test it first, dont blindly trust my suggestion ...
>
> I forgot to mention: I can't see any difference between pp=de and
> pp=ac.

Hm, maybe you could try to increase the compression ratio - then the
differences should be more visible. I think pp=ac is better than pp=de
but it is also stronger. The postprocessing I like most is pp=ac whith
slightly reduced strength.

> > also definitly try to add some noise, it might look better, something
> > on windows, does add noise by default, i never could figure out what
> > part it was (the noise was vissible with ffdshow even though it had
> > all noise adding filters disabled ..., but that was long ago)
>
> Thanks for mentioning that -- I forgot about noise.

Do not add too much noise, doom9 is going to analyse single frames. It
would be bad if they would write: mencoder/mplayer is to noisy :-)

Regards,
  Matthias