[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Fri Dec 2 09:44:34 CET 2005

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 21:05:45 -0800
Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:

> I can only conjecture as to why they are different and which one is
> correct; the only thing I am pretty sure about is that
> mplayer/mencoder decodes the DVD that way -- it doesn't get altered
> during the encoding process.

The doom9 shot has clearly been cropped, sized and aspected so why
not gammaed too? I'd guess it's a screenshot so it's been
postprocessed by whatever is playing it.

Interestingly, when I play your clip in mplayer (vo x11 without
postpro) it does not appear quite as dark as your frame does. It
could be an optical illusion due to the movement though.

Martin