[MPlayer-users] Reading file content as is, in real time.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Jul 16 22:27:48 EEST 2020

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 11:25:55AM +0200, xadaux daux wrote:
> I've just tried something like this:
>
> mplayer 16.tiff -rawaudio rate=44100 -demuxer rawaudio -ao
> jack:name=16.tiff:port=jack_rack -nocache -loop 0 -af channels=2:2:0:1:0:0

That's... quite an impressive misuse of MPlayer ;)
I suspect you might underestimate just how much can go wrong.
How sure are you that it's actually MPlayer that changed?
I find it far more likely that gimp changed how it overwrites files to
a way that does not risk data loss (specifically: write to a temp file,
then rename the now file over the old file).
Do you NEED to have -loop 0 there at the end? Because if you put it
before the file name that would avoid a whole lot of issues.
In principle something like a FIFO (see mkfifo) is usually much more
suitable for this kind of use-case...
(also the -af channels seems very weird, wouldn't it make more sense
to specify it as single channel in the demuxer?)