[MPlayer-users] Addendum - How to exit an audio file

dan d. dandunfee at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 20:06:27 EEST 2020

I had already tried ctrl+c, no joy.  Only killing mplayer works with audio files, it is fine with video using only esc.

Useing:

mplayer https://media.blubrry.com/ipspace/stream.ipspace.net/nuggets/podcast/Show_108-NetDev_0x13.mp3

It says mplayer fails to open the url.

Interestingly, the ffplay app in place of mplayer does play it, and quits with esc.

I use youtube-dl to stream video/audio from the net and pipe it to mplayer; as you do with wget..

I tried the wget flavor, it streams but also fails to quit with "q", esc, or ctrl+c.
I replaced mplayer with ffplay in my youtube-dl streaming routine, it works fine and also quits with esc.

Thanks for the ideas.

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020, Erik Auerswald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 04:05:42PM -0400, dan d. wrote:
> >
> > I had asked today how one exits mplayer, esc works with video but nopt audio files.
> >
> > One person mentioned the "q" keyboard command; which I had also tried
> > but failed to mention previously. . I experimented and found the "q"
> > works if the audio file is on my machine.
> >
> > The context I was speaking of but also failed to mention is when a
> > file is streamed from the net.  A video exits with esc but not an audio
> > file.  I have to kill mplayer for an audio file to stop.
>
> I have just tested to play an audio file (MP3 format) via HTTPS directly
> from the network, and the 'q' key worked fine to exit MPlayer.
>
> I'd like to ask you to be more specific in your problem description?
>
> The following command plays an audio file directly via network and allows
> the use of 'q' to exit MPlayer:
>
>     mplayer https://media.blubrry.com/ipspace/stream.ipspace.net/nuggets/podcast/Show_108-NetDev_0x13.mp3
>
> I am assuming you are doing something like that.
>
> The following commands play an audio file directly via network, too, but
> MPlayer cannot be exited with the 'q' key; it can be exited with CTRL+C:
>
>     wget -q -O- https://media.blubrry.com/ipspace/stream.ipspace.net/nuggets/podcast/Show_108-NetDev_0x13.mp3 | mplayer -
>
> Are you perhaps doing something similar to that instead?
>
> HTH,
> Erik

XR