[MPlayer-users] Addendum - How to exit an audio file

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Thu Apr 30 12:05:01 EEST 2020

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 04:05:42PM -0400, dan d. wrote:

> I had asked today how one exits mplayer, esc works with video but nopt audio files.
>
> One person mentioned the "q" keyboard command; which I had also tried
> but failed to mention previously. . I experimented and found the "q"
> works if the audio file is on my machine.
>
> The context I was speaking of but also failed to mention is when a
> file is streamed from the net.  A video exits with esc but not an audio
> file.  I have to kill mplayer for an audio file to stop.

I have just tested to play an audio file (MP3 format) via HTTPS directly
from the network, and the 'q' key worked fine to exit MPlayer.

I'd like to ask you to be more specific in your problem description?

The following command plays an audio file directly via network and allows
the use of 'q' to exit MPlayer:

    mplayer https://media.blubrry.com/ipspace/stream.ipspace.net/nuggets/podcast/Show_108-NetDev_0x13.mp3

I am assuming you are doing something like that.

The following commands play an audio file directly via network, too, but
MPlayer cannot be exited with the 'q' key; it can be exited with CTRL+C:

    wget -q -O- https://media.blubrry.com/ipspace/stream.ipspace.net/nuggets/podcast/Show_108-NetDev_0x13.mp3 | mplayer -

Are you perhaps doing something similar to that instead?

HTH,
Erik