[MPlayer-users] Image too small, temporary buffers cannot function

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 26 16:27:12 EET 2019

Hi,

On 25/11/2019 23:58, Scott W. Larson wrote:
> This is not what I am seeing on my 4 GHz four core CPU. When I use
> software rendering ("-vo xv -vc ffmpeg12") with a 2160p display, mplayer
> uses five times more CPU and, much worse, Xorg suddenly becomes nearly
> CPU bound. As you would expect, the video is jerky especially whenever I
> do anything else on the system.

It sounds like something else is wrong there. I'm assuming the MPEG-1/2
stream isn't a 2160p video (can MPEG-1/2 even handle that resolution?)
so the decoding CPU usage should be negligible on a modern system.

I've got the impression over the years that -vo xv is generally
considered to be outdated. Have you tried using the VDPAU output device
with software decoding ("-vo vdpau -vc ffmpeg12")?

This is the configuration I use on my NVIDIA-based systems - I get the
advantage of the fantastic spatial-temporal deinterlacer without any of
the disadvantages (mainly quality issues and poor handling of damaged or
non-compliant streams) of the hardware video decoder. (I used the
hardware decoder for a while after I first got a capable GPU but soon
started noticing the problems.)

As far as the CPU's decoding capability is concerned, my
rather-underpowered media PC has a 1.8GHz dual-core Athlon Neo CPU which
is powerful enough for 1080p or 720p50 H.264 without hardware
assistance. Hardware decoding via VDPAU does work on its Radeon HD 3200
IGP but stability is poor - even seeking can crash it - and although it
claims to have deinterlacing capability in vdpauinfo, I've never been
able to get it to work.

Stephen