[MPlayer-users] Image too small, temporary buffers cannot function

Scott W. Larson scowl at wballphotos.com
Tue Nov 26 01:58:34 EET 2019

On 11/19/2019 01:15 AM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> You updated to the latest MPlayer SVN and/or replaced your codecs.conf? (I forgot to bump the codecs.conf version so it might not print the warning it should if you have your own).
> If it still recognizes the ffmpeg12vdpau something is still on the wrong version.
Ugh, I think something was broken in my build environment. I checked out
everything anew, made mplayer and now "-vc ffmpeg2vdpau" works
perfectly. Thank you!!
> Optimization and hardware acceleration are somewhat different cases.
> Hardware acceleration implies overheads like I/O, interrupts, memory transfers etc etc which improve relatively slowly, slower than CPUs (even if most of the CPU improvement is now based on more cores).
> The result is that for most hardware acceleration comes a point where using it makes things slower. That point as far as I can tell has come and passed for MPEG-2.
> As it's fast enough either way it hardly matters, but it might be wasted time getting it to work for most.
This is not what I am seeing on my 4 GHz four core CPU. When I use
software rendering ("-vo xv -vc ffmpeg12") with a 2160p display, mplayer
uses five times more CPU and, much worse, Xorg suddenly becomes nearly
CPU bound. As you would expect, the video is jerky especially whenever I
do anything else on the system.

I haven't used software rendering in many years so maybe my parameters
aren't correct?