[MPlayer-users] Image too small, temporary buffers cannot function

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Nov 19 11:15:08 EET 2019

On 19 November 2019 05:12:09 CET, "Scott W. Larson" <scowl at wballphotos.com> wrote:
>On 11/17/2019 08:35 AM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>> On 02.11.2019, at 02:31, "Scott W. Larson" <scowl at wballphotos.com>
>wrote:
>>

>> With this command:
>>
>>      ./mplayer -fs -vo vdpau -vc ffmpeg12vdpau file.ts
>> That's simply not supported by FFmpeg anymore, not much we can do
>about it.
>> I split it so that you can use ffmpeg2vdpau or ffmpeg1vdpau instead,
>which seem to work.
>Unfortunately I get "no video" with those.

You updated to the latest MPlayer SVN and/or replaced your codecs.conf? (I forgot to bump the codecs.conf version so it might not print the warning it should if you have your own).
If it still recognizes the ffmpeg12vdpau something is still on the wrong version.

>> I'd add though that I am not sure there is much point in MPEG-2
>hardware decoding unless you have a PC that is more than 12 years
>old...
>I've always used mplayer because the developers have worked hard to
>make
>sure it uses the least amount of CPU and it has always been optimized
>for the hardware which I've purchased. I don't think it's unreasonable
>to want to use hardware acceleration if it's available.

Optimization and hardware acceleration are somewhat different cases.
Hardware acceleration implies overheads like I/O, interrupts, memory transfers etc etc which improve relatively slowly, slower than CPUs (even if most of the CPU improvement is now based on more cores).
The result is that for most hardware acceleration comes a point where using it makes things slower. That point as far as I can tell has come and passed for MPEG-2.
As it's fast enough either way it hardly matters, but it might be wasted time getting it to work for most.