[MPlayer-users] Mixed telecine playback with vdpau

Marlon Smith marlon.smith10 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 23:50:32 CET 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm playing a dvd with mixed telecine and progressive content, and using
vdpau to accelerate playback, with this command:

mplayer dvd://4 -dvd-device /dev/sr0 -vo vdpau:deint=4:pullup

This works well for the telecined parts of the video, but introduces
artifacts during the progressive part (presumably because it is trying
to deinterlace the progressive content).

Alternatively, I've tried playback using:

mplayer dvd://4 -dvd-device /dev/sr0 -vf pullup -vo xv

This looks great during the progressive parts, but the deinterlacing
does not look as good as the vdpau deinterlacer.  It's also not hardware
accelerated :(

So my question is: how can I get vdpau to stop deinterlacing the
progressive parts of the video?  I sadly suspect this might not be
possible, since I know mplayer doesn't autodetect interlacing, but I
would LOVE it if someone knew of a way to do this.

Thanks!

Marlon