[MPlayer-users] If not mencoder, then what?

Ken Bass daytooner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 08:44:43 CET 2010

After months of fighting with mencoder, I am able to finally capture a VHS
tape, with A-V in 99.9% in sync, and with very good picture quality -
considering the tape was a 25+ year old dup from another tape (possibly
duped from another), and the VCR is about 15 yrs old, without being
cleaned/adjusted for awhile.

But now I've read here that mencoder is no longer officially supported. If
so, then what should I use to capture analog (or digital) from a tuner card?

Any example would be extremely helpful.

Also, I have another problem with converting to ac3 audio. I need do this to
use an editing package - openmovieeditor - which seems not to open mp3 audio
streams. What I am doing now is first creating the video as an mpeg4 w/
mpeg3 audio. Then, using mencoder, copy the video stream, but convert the
audio via lavc to ac3. But that shifts the audio back about 5 secs or more,
and the video quality is somewhat degraded. I like many of the features of
openmovieeditor, but if it can't handle reading in and coverting to some
basic formats, then I need to find another. LiVES is one, but it seems
overkill for want I what. If anyone has used openmovieeditor and has gotten
it to work well, or if someone has a better recommendation (I'm trying kino,
but it is slow, and extremely difficult to use), I will definitely try it.

TIA all for any help you can give me.

Also, thanks for a lot of interesting information posted in this group.
Always something new to learn.

ken