[MPlayer-users] Optimize video output from tv card

Krzysztof Duchnowski amidk75 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:23:13 CEST 2009

Michael pisze:

> The only think I am still fighting with is the mplayer options. I want to
> position the video playback at 100,50 on a 800x600 screen. The video
> resolution should be 640x480. If the video is of a different size, I would
> like to resize it while keeping the original aspect ratio. Furthermore, if
> the resulting video is smaller than 640x480 it would be great if black
> borders would be added automatically.
>
> I've tried nearly a hundred combinations of options. None delivered this.
> The one that came closest, was -screenw 640 -screenh 480 -fs . However, in
> this case -geometry 100:50 does no longer work, so the video is always on
> the topleft side.
>
> More fancy stuff such as -geometry 100:50 -vf dsize=640:480:0,expand=640x480
> deliver not the expected result (mostly bigger video screens).
>
> Does anybody know, what options would be best to attain the result I want?

Read about "-slave" option. Then you could use another instance of
mplayer with "-vo null -frames 1 -identify" to identify media and then
send appropriate command to enslaved MPlayer.
You could use BASH or Perl or Python to do that if you know any of them.

--
Krzysztof 'DK75' Duchnowski
GetFirefox - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/