[MPlayer-users] Optimize video output from tv card

Michael auslands-kv at gmx.de
Fri Sep 4 15:52:18 CEST 2009

Hmm, without the -fixed-vo option I haven't had any garbled video playback
now for several hours. Maybe that's the cause.

So, I have nearly everything running. Great!

The only think I am still fighting with is the mplayer options. I want to
position the video playback at 100,50 on a 800x600 screen. The video
resolution should be 640x480. If the video is of a different size, I would
like to resize it while keeping the original aspect ratio. Furthermore, if
the resulting video is smaller than 640x480 it would be great if black
borders would be added automatically.

I've tried nearly a hundred combinations of options. None delivered this.
The one that came closest, was -screenw 640 -screenh 480 -fs . However, in
this case -geometry 100:50 does no longer work, so the video is always on
the topleft side.

More fancy stuff such as -geometry 100:50 -vf dsize=640:480:0,expand=640x480
deliver not the expected result (mostly bigger video screens).

Does anybody know, what options would be best to attain the result I want?

Thanks again and cheers from Switzerland

Michael