[MPlayer-users] invoking mediaplayer with atd.

Phil White Usenet at junk.manx.biz
Sun Jan 11 23:59:54 CET 2009

Hi.

I'm having a couple of small problems with a script I'm working on. Has
anyone encountered the same...

inside a shell script, I invoke mplayer as

 STATION="rtsp://www.example.org/radio/stream.ram"
 mplayer "$STATION" -nomouseinput -vc null -vo null -ao
 pcm:file=/tmp/radio-$NOW.wav

which works fine if I invoke the script on the command line. However,
if I invoke it via atd, it fails. The resultant email is ...

warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh
job 71 at Sun Jan 11 22:43:00 2009
MPlayer dev-SVN-r28058-4.3.1 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz (Family: 6, Model:
15, Stepping: 6) CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1
SSE2: 1 Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
Terminal type `unknown' is not defined.

Playing
rtsp://www.example.org/radio/stream.ram.
Resolving rmlive.bbc.co.uk for AF_INET... Connecting to server
www.example.org[200.50.127.00]: 554... Cache size set to 640 KBytes
^MCache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
<... and so on ...>

If I change the main line to
 mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile /tmp/radio-$NOW.ram
I can at least get something, although I get (relatively) frequent
dropouts and glitches.

Question: Why am I getting no output from the first option at all? What
do I need to change to get this working as anticipated?

Many thanks,

Phil.