[MPlayer-users] mplayer SVN 28207 & screensaver :-(

Robert Henney robh at rut.org
Sat Jan 17 06:29:49 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:40:22PM +0900, Masaru Nomiya wrote:

> Warpme <warpme at o2.pl> has written:
>
> > I have issue with mplayer SVN 28207 & screensaver: screensaver is not
> > blocked when mplayer plays move (as result screen goes black in the
> > middle of move).
> > Do somebody can verify: is this issue of this mlayer SVN or rather I
> > should look for issue in my environment ?
>
> Maybe, you are running xscreensaver.
>
> It's not the MPlayer's problem, but a xscreensaver's problem.

In recent weeks I also have had mplayer fail to prevent the screen from
blanking after a while of playing a movie.  I'm not running any screen
saver, and in the years of using mplayer it's not something I recall ever
having issues with.

Using -stop-xscreensaver fixes it, but that was never required before.
one possible explanation is that something was broken in the debian lenny
xorg, which was updated in recent weeks, that prevents mplayers default
method of keeping the screen on from having any effect.

I seem to recall that mplayer used a mouse-jitter hack to prevent screen
blanking.  is that what it's still using?