[MPlayer-users] gmplayer osd

mike mhardy_mail at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 19:10:48 CET 2009

--- On Sun, 2/22/09, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> From: Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>
> Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] gmplayer osd
> To: mhardy_mail at yahoo.com, "MPlayer usage questions, feature requests, bug reports" <mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
> Date: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 4:08 AM
> Hello,
>
> Please see if you can send email with hard-coded
> line-breaks, those
> overlong lines will be hard to read for quite a few people.
>
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 01:36:44PM -0800, mike wrote:
> > my problem is that with only some wmv (can't do
> anything about the source, that's what they are)
> gmplayer's osd elapsed time display will stop advancing
> (like at 0:30s), video continues playing just fine then
> after for example 150s the osd elapsed time leaps to 3:00m
> and does this constantly throughout the video

> is  it reasonable to make (part of) such a file available?

I might not be able to.  these are instructional
poker videos and both the drm-crippled and
drm-free videos were paid for and even if I strip
out audio and sent only the first 10-15m their
producers probably wouldn't appreciate it.

so I will have to hunt around on the web for a
video of mostly static/powerpoint-type stuff to
see if it too exhibits this problem.

> > what I discovered yesterday is that mplayer itself
> does not do this

> when you run gmplayer from the command-line, what does the
> status line
> say? Does it have the same jumps?

tbh I'm not really sure what to look for.  with
gmplayer I see:

a:xx  v:xx  a-v:xx ct:-0.AB CDE/FGH  %  %  %  x  x  %
("xx" just means digits, not they're all the same)

what I see when vid is running is the A-H response
seems to be in sync with osd timer halt/leaps.

when osd timer is stalled:

* - 0.AB stops changing its value
* CDE/FGH stops advancing

when osd timer leaps fwd or momentarily runs
ok then

* -0.AB continuously changes value
* CDE/FGH starts advancing

Is the version it
> displays the same as
> that of you MPlayer, maybe those are different versions?

gmplayer is a (program supplied) link to mplayer
bin but I checked anway and understandably
both show the same rev (started as /usr/bin/<bin>).

> (try mplayer
> -gui ... instead of gmplayer, note that -gui must be the
> first option).

no change

> > or is there some way to get smaller output using
> -harddup?
>
> Don't forget -ofps, if you do not set it, wmvs will be
> encoded with about 1000
> frames per second.

is -ofps a critical item to always use with
mencoder?  I'm sort of a rookie and only fumble
through what I find in docs/man pg wrt mencoder
so typically just do this (when trying to reduce
filesizes or using -harddup; audio seems to
already be optimally sized wrt orig):

mencoder -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=350 -harddup