[MPlayer-users] Recording .ram audio. -endpos doesn't work, -dumpfile file format.

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 17:36:58 CET 2008

On 11 Nov 2008, at 07:30, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 02:06:24AM +0000, Stroller wrote:
>> 1) I can't seem to get "-endpos" to work.
> -dumpstream does not process the data in any way, thus it can not know
> the current stream time, thus endpos would not work.
>
>> If I can't get "-endpos" to work then I guess I'll have to write a
>> wrapper script, get the pid of the mplayer process, sleep for 2 hours
>> and then kill it.
>
> Yes, that's what to my knowledge everyone else does.

Many thanks!

>> 2) Is there any way to playback the dumped-stream in Realplayer on
>> other platforms? Without converting it, I mean.
>
> Why the requirement to play with Realplayer? There is hardly
> anything at
> all that plays in Realplayer.
> MPlayer and VLC are basically available on anything and should play
> it.
> With some work, even Windows Media should play it (or MPC).
> With Perian (perian.org) it might even play with Quicktime in OSX.

It doesn't have to be Realplayer - I just assumed that, since this is
a dump of a Real-type stream that does play in Realplayer (when
streamed normally), that would be a logical player to try.

I'd be even happier were the dumped file to play in Quicktime, but it
doesn't (Perian 1.1.2 installed). I'm happy to keep mplayer about on
my Linux boxes for clever stuff like transcoding, but when I'm at my
desktop I just want to switch my brain off & double-click on things,
preferably using pre-installed software. I like Quicktime because its
factory-installed; Realplayer is nice because it has a downloader app
that makes it easy to get You Tube videos as discrete .flv files. I
don't particularly like VLC's interface.

Am I right in thinking that this dumped stream uses a proprietary Real
codec? Is there any way to extract the audio from it - without
converting it - into some other valid container format?

Stroller.