[MPlayer-users] Recording .ram audio. -endpos doesn't work, -dumpfile file format.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Nov 11 08:30:39 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 02:06:24AM +0000, Stroller wrote:
> 1) I can't seem to get "-endpos" to work.
>
> Neither:
>    mplayer -noframedrop  -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/realaudio/media/r1live.ram
>    -dumpstream  -dumpfilempfile file.rm  -endpos 60
> Nor:
>    mplayer  -endpos 60 -noframedrop  -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/realaudio/media/r1live.ram
>    -dumpstream  -dumpfilempfile file.rm

-dumpstream does not process the data in any way, thus it can not know
the current stream time, thus endpos would not work.
Even without that, I think -endpos works based on the time encoded in
the stream which probably has no relation with what you want.

> If I can't get "-endpos" to work then I guess I'll have to write a
> wrapper script, get the pid of the mplayer process, sleep for 2 hours
> and then kill it.

Yes, that's what to my knowledge everyone else does.

> 2) Is there any way to playback the dumped-stream in Realplayer on
> other platforms? Without converting it, I mean.

Why the requirement to play with Realplayer? There is hardly anything at
all that plays in Realplayer.
MPlayer and VLC are basically available on anything and should play it.
With some work, even Windows Media should play it (or MPC).
With Perian (perian.org) it might even play with Quicktime in OSX.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger