[MPlayer-users] Recording .ram audio. -endpos doesn't work, -dumpfile file format.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Nov 11 18:27:46 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 04:36:58PM +0000, Stroller wrote:
> I'd be even happier were the dumped file to play in Quicktime, but it
> doesn't (Perian 1.1.2 installed).

True, the home page even says:
"File formats: AVI, DIVX, FLV, MKV, GVI, VP6, and VFW"
Though I can't imagine there is a file format called "VFW".

> Am I right in thinking that this dumped stream uses a proprietary Real
> codec?

It is cook, while that is proprietary FFmpeg does have a decoder for it.

> Is there any way to extract the audio from it - without
> converting it - into some other valid container format?

ffmpeg -i file.rm file.mkv
works fine for me and the resulting file plays in MPlayer,
but unfortunately Perian does not support FFmpeg's cook decoder either
(no idea if there is some other Quicktime component that can decode it).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger