[MPlayer-users] A question about patented codecs

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Wed Mar 5 02:51:26 CET 2008

> people come ask you for help to install such a system, most likely he sees
> this box as a DVD player, not a computer. What I mean is, he won't bother

This is one of the biggest problems with opensource per se. I constantly end
up helping people who have bought systems with Linux installed - which is
great - then get it home to find they can't play mp3s, DVDs, h.264 video,
real media, etc. All of these have happened to me in the last week.

Unfortunately the very GPL itself prevents this from ever being solved. It's
a major stumbling block.

Phil