[MPlayer-users] Quicktime playback on MPlayer/Linux -- Some videos play in ultra-slow-motion?

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Sun Aug 31 18:15:52 CEST 2008

> The recommendation of the developers is to be always running the latest
> SVN version (or at least within a month or two of that), compiled from
> source on the machine which will be running it. The more recent the
> version you're running, the better your chances of getting help and the
> better the chance that any problems you report will get fixed.

This is a common attitude among open source software engineers, and is the
principal reason why it's reasonable to assume that most opensource software
is effectively unsupported.

The people who make these statements know full well that most mere humans
barely know what SVN is, much less are capable of compiling software from
source, and this becomes nothing more than an excuse not to provide any
support.

What I don't understand is why it's necessary at all. Nobody's -required- to
work on open source or support it. If you don't want to do it just say
"sorry, you're on your own" - the current attitude is just elitist.