[MPlayer-users] SVN compiling problem

Henry Garcia defsyn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 18:45:53 CEST 2007

On 9/1/07, John Brown <johnbrown105 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Alexander Bokovikov wrote:
> >
> >JonY wrote:
> >>The configure eval problem is possibly
> >>caused by a bug in bash, use the snapshot bash 3.1...
> >
> >... I've untar-ed it, but where to copy the files to? I've copied them
> into
> >the MSYS\bin, etc. direstories. Is it correct?
>
> Yes.
>
> >  Anyway the same error is appeared. Then I've opened "configure" file,
> >have found that line (2315) and have changed the tilda signs to quotes.
>
> That was probably the wrong thing to do. By tilde, I assume you mean
> ` (backquote). When a command is enclosed in backquotes, the screen
> output of the command is converted to a string which can be, for example,
> stored in a variable.
>
> ><cut>
> >===============><8================
> >gcc  -o ndisasm.exe ndisasm.o disasm.o sync.o nasmlib.o insnsd.o
> >nroff -man nasm.1 > nasm.man
> >/cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/groff: can't find `DESC' file
> >/cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
> >c:\MinGW\bin\make.exe: *** [nasm.man] Error 3
> >===============><8================
> >
> >I see some references to cygwin here... Is it correct? Yes, I installed
> >cygwin earlier, but then I installed MinGW. Maybe I need to remove cygwin
> >from the system? If so, then how to do it correctly? AFAIK, cygwin has no
> >uninstaller.
> >

> No need to remove Cygwin totally. Just remove the Cygwin bin directory
> from
> your %PATH%, and run configure again.

You really should read the MingwHOWTO.txt and save yourself a lot of
headaches. There are a lot of good pointers on how to build the necessary
libraries like ./configure --disable-shared --prefix=/mingw

I don't know if there is a "correct"
> way, but you can simply delete the entire Cygwin folder. I do not think
> that
> Cygwin makes entries in the Registry,

Check the software section HKEY_Current_USER, HKEY_Current_CONFIG. You'll
find the Cygnus Solutions Entry  in the registry. Again, Cygwin has its own
documentation on how to install and remove their software. You might be
better off reading their documentation instead of asking on this list.

or copies files to \WINDOWS\SYstem32

> >>I wasn't aware that Mplayer uses nasm!? Does it?
> >
> >As far as I see, LAME uses it...
>
> xvidcore also uses nasm.
>
> You mentioned in an earlier post that you used "the latest version
> available".
> I have never tried 0.99.01 (if that is the one that you mean), but I had
> no
> problem building 0.98.39. I am using make 3.79.1.

Nasm 98.38 and 98.39 compile and work with mplayer

But if you really enjoy beating your head against the wall, disregard all
advice to read and follow the advice on the
MingwHOWTO.txt<http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32/contrib/MPlayer-MinGW-Howto.txt>

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32/contrib/MPlayer-MinGW-Howto.txt

There is another caveat you have to watch when compiling with Windows Mingw
even if you follow the advice on the HOWTO.

 What's your user name in mingw?

If there are any spaces such as in the following:  Joe Blow at mycomputer ~.

This will cause compile problems with mplayer. Just change back into the
home directory and make a directory with no spaces: e.g.
/c/msys/1.0/home/JoeBlow and move your sources back into that directory and
compile from there or just change your username: e.g. Joe_Blow.