[MPlayer-users] SVN compiling problem

JonY 10walls at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 18:45:08 CEST 2007

Henry Garcia wrote:
> On 8/31/07, Alexander Bokovikov <openworld at uralweb.ru> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> JonY wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, the new tools are available here, get the .tar.gz packages
>>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435
>> Thanks, have done it.
>>
>>> The configure eval problem is possibly
>>> caused by a bug in bash, use the snapshot bash 3.1, also
>>> from the above site.
>> I've downloaded it, but have no idea of how to install it. I've untar-ed
>> it,
>> but where to copy the files to? I've copied them into the MSYS\bin, etc.
>> direstories. Is it correct? Anyway the same error is appeared. Then I've
>> opened "configure" file, have found that line (2315) and have changed the
>> tilda signs to quotes. Now I see another behaviour:
>>
>> ===============><8================
>> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... ac_maketemp=\c:/MinGW/bin/make.exe"
>> no
>> ===============><8================
>>
>> Some strange string appears, but at least there are no errors. Have you
>> any
>> idea why tilda signs here produce an error, though they work correctly at
>> other places?
>>
>> Then I'm calling "make", it goes and some new errors appear at the end of
>> listing:
>

> Maybe you need to compile nasm from source and install it. Follow the
> instructions from the MingwHowTO.txt file on the mplayerhq.hu site. You
> should find a link to it inside the html documention.
>
> Also, you should probably use the old make-3.79.1.exe instead of the new
> make-3.81.exe. Check the version of make that you are using: make --version.
> The make-3.81.exe fails when including live555 in the build. That's probably
> the source of the "invalid device 'ascii'" error.
>
> ===============><8================
>> gcc  -o ndisasm.exe ndisasm.o disasm.o sync.o nasmlib.o insnsd.o
>> nroff -man nasm.1 > nasm.man
>> /cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/groff: can't find `DESC' file
>> /cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
>> c:\MinGW\bin\make.exe: *** [nasm.man] Error 3
>> ===============><8================
>>
>> I see some references to cygwin here... Is it correct? Yes, I installed
>> cygwin earlier, but then I installed MinGW. Maybe I need to remove cygwin
>> from the system?

Hi,

You should not mix Cygwin and MinGW executables. You can have both
Cygwin and MinGW installed at the same time by removing their respective
bin directories from your Windows PATH environmental variable.

Also, the MinGW installer warns about placing make.exe under
C:\MinGW\bin, you should move it to C:\msys\1.0\bin.

As far as groff in concerned, you can use the Gnuwin32 version and place
the .exe programs in C:\msys\1.0\local\bin, don't forget the dep
package, it contains the needed dlls. If you don't need the nasm docs,
you can skip groff entirely, just don't let nasm configure find it (make
sure "which groff" command doesn't point to it).

Building nasm should be straight forward ./configure && make.

> Cygwin is not the problem. You need to compile and install nasm: check out
> ftp.gnu.org for the nasm source code. Again, read the MingwHOWTO.txt file
> linked to in the html documentation. When all else fails, please read the
> instruction manual.
>
> If so, then how to do it correctly? AFAIK, cygwin has no
>> uninstaller.
>>
>>> I wasn't aware that Mplayer uses nasm!? Does it?
>

> Yes, read the HOWTO file.

Yes, agreed, nasm is needed but mplayer doesn't need it directly, lame
and xvid needed it.