[MPlayer-users] SVN compiling problem

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 1 16:46:29 CEST 2007

Alexander Bokovikov wrote:

>JonY wrote:
>>The configure eval problem is possibly
>>caused by a bug in bash, use the snapshot bash 3.1...
>
>... I've untar-ed it, but where to copy the files to? I've copied them into
>the MSYS\bin, etc. direstories. Is it correct?

Yes.

>  Anyway the same error is appeared. Then I've opened "configure" file,
>have found that line (2315) and have changed the tilda signs to quotes.

That was probably the wrong thing to do. By tilde, I assume you mean
` (backquote). When a command is enclosed in backquotes, the screen
output of the command is converted to a string which can be, for example,
stored in a variable.

><cut>
>===============><8================
>gcc  -o ndisasm.exe ndisasm.o disasm.o sync.o nasmlib.o insnsd.o
>nroff -man nasm.1 > nasm.man
>/cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/groff: can't find `DESC' file
>/cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
>c:\MinGW\bin\make.exe: *** [nasm.man] Error 3
>===============><8================
>
>I see some references to cygwin here... Is it correct? Yes, I installed
>cygwin earlier, but then I installed MinGW. Maybe I need to remove cygwin
>from the system? If so, then how to do it correctly? AFAIK, cygwin has no
>uninstaller.

No need to remove Cygwin totally. Just remove the Cygwin bin directory from
your %PATH%, and run configure again. I don't know if there is a "correct"
way, but you can simply delete the entire Cygwin folder. I do not think that
Cygwin makes entries in the Registry, or copies files to \WINDOWS\SYstem32

>>I wasn't aware that Mplayer uses nasm!? Does it?
>
>As far as I see, LAME uses it...

xvidcore also uses nasm.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you used "the latest version
available".
I have never tried 0.99.01 (if that is the one that you mean), but I had no
problem building 0.98.39. I am using make 3.79.1.